Responsible Care® is a global chemical industry performance initiative that is implemented in the United States through the American Chemistry Council and is a mandatory program for ACC members.
Responsible Care® helps America's leading chemical companies go above and beyond government requirements and openly communicate their results to the public. Through Responsible Care®, these companies are making available the most performance information of any private sector industry group.
The most recent data demonstrates that Responsible Care companies have:
- Achieved a worker safety record four times safer than the average of the U.S. manufacturing sector and twice as safe as the business of chemistry overall;
- Reduced emissions of all TRI listed HAP chemicals by 73 percent since 1988;
- Reduced reportable distribution incidents by 43 percent even while the volume of chemical shipments increased 16 percent since 1995; and
- Reduced process safety incidents by 51 percent over the past decade.
Our industry creates products and services that make life better for people around the world – both today and tomorrow. The benefits of our industry are accompanied by enduring commitments to Responsible Care® in the management of chemicals worldwide.
Solutia is proud to participate in the American Chemistry Council's Responsible Care® Initiative. We pledge to operate our business according to the following Guiding Principles.
We will make continuous progress toward the vision of no accidents, injuries or harm to the environment and will publicly report our global health, safety and environmental performance. We will lead our companies in ethical ways that increasingly benefit society, the economy and the environment while adhering to the following principles:
- To seek and incorporate public input regarding our products and operations
- To provide chemicals that can be manufactured, transported, used and disposed of safely
- To make health, safety, the environment and resource conservation critical considerations for all new and existing products and processes
- To provide information on health or environmental risks and pursue protective measures for employees, the public and other key stakeholders